Recent comments

• Reply to: The Fight for Mental Health Services in Chicago   5 days 11 hours ago
    Great work!! Hope it's the first of many success stories!
  • Reply to: The Fight for Mental Health Services in Chicago   6 days 8 hours ago
    I suffered terribly with anxiety and depression since I was 13 and have blogged a bit about it here http://controlyourmindset.com/1 I lost my best years. It was only last year I finally got a hold on my issues.....I was 49.
  • Reply to: A Pacifist Protest Against the Peaceful Drone   1 week 12 hours ago
    excellent article.....drone warfare is ILLEGAL AND IMMORAL AND IS CAUSING ameriKans to be hated everywhere.
  • Reply to: BustED Pencils: Education Activism's Punk Rockers   1 week 2 days ago
    It's strange how At The Chalkface is missing from this....
  • Reply to: The Trans Pacific Partnership: A Fast Track to Lost Jobs and Lower Wages   1 week 2 days ago
    I voted for Obama in his first run for President, he spoke like a Progressive and a friend of the people, but I soon saw him for what he was, another Republican in Democratic clothes. He wanted to be in the in-crowd and loved the power of his position, he just happened to be the wrong color. He has no interest in helping the American people and his accomplishments can be seen as a pro-elite and people-pandering agenda. I think he may do as much damage as W Bush did before he is gone. But then, the American people need to take the lion share of that criticism by keeping the plutocrats in power, regardless of which party they are in.
  • Reply to: BustED Pencils: Education Activism's Punk Rockers   1 week 3 days ago
    what about At the chalk face? I feel there's some missing information.
  • Reply to: The Boston bomber should not be put to death   1 week 3 days ago
    Even though I am not a progressive, I too believe the death penalty is barbaric. However I also believe it should be a CHOICE for the condemned, life without parole or death....their choice. For me I would choose a quick death rather than live decades in prison, knowing what I had done, knowing what my family would endure, never ever again making ANY free choices, death is preferable.
  • Reply to: Battling Islam's Bad Image   1 week 3 days ago
    I’m sorry to say this but the spectacles of hate need to be removed. I dare anyone on here to google Islamic research foundation and spend a few minutes looking at what you find. I am sure that you will find that Islam is a religion of peace, tolerance, justice, kindness, charity, love and worshiping one God. The prophet Mohammed (Peace be upon him) was verbally abused, ridiculed, had objects thrown at him, spat at and even beaten. He reacted by having mercy on people and treating them with patience and kindness throughout his life. When we differ in our opinions, we shouldn’t be abusive or threatening. This was not the way of the prophet Mohammed ( PBUH) with believers and disbelievers. Thank you.
  • Reply to: BustED Pencils: Education Activism's Punk Rockers   1 week 4 days ago
    Great job, guys. Keep up the great work and continue to inform the public about what the REAL driving force is behind standardized testing!!
  • Reply to: Battling Islam's Bad Image   1 week 4 days ago
    Most Muslims are not terrorists but..... as for Islam not being monolithic, do the apologists not see that perhaps this is a part of the problem? There are thousands of imams and some are more terror prone than others.

Pages

MOVE members flee after bombing

Editor's note: 30 years ago, police ordered the bombing of the Philadelphia headquarters of the black liberation...

Nepali schoolgirls hold vigil after earthquake

The country’s government has been astonishingly callous in the aftermath of the calamity.

Lesbian couple poses with judge after wedding ceremony

For Wisconsin couples, the road to equality has been paved with fear, hope, uncertainty, and joy.

By Wendell Berry

Manifesto: The Mad Farmer Liberation Front

Love the quick profit, the annual raise,
vacation with pay. Want more
of everything ready made. Be afraid
to know your neighbors and to die.
And you will have a window in your head.
Not even your future will be a mystery
any more. Your mind will be punched in a card
and shut away in a little drawer.
When they want you to buy something
they will call you. When they want you
to die for profit they will let you know.
So, friends, every day do something
that won’t compute. Love the Lord.
Love the world. Work for nothing.
Take all that you have and be poor.
Love someone who does not deserve it.
Denounce the government and embrace
the flag. Hope to live in that free
republic for which it stands.
Give your approval to all you cannot
understand. Praise ignorance, for what man
has not encountered he has not destroyed.
Ask the questions that have no answers.
Invest in the millennium. Plant sequoias.
Say that your main crop is the forest
that you did not plant,
that you will not live to harvest.

Say that the leaves are harvested
when they have rotted into the mold.
Call that profit. Prophesy such returns.
Put your faith in the two inches of humus
that will build under the trees
every thousand years.
Listen to carrion—put your ear
close, and hear the faint chattering
of the songs that are to come.
Expect the end of the world. Laugh.
Laughter is immeasurable. Be joyful
though you have considered all the facts.
So long as women do not go cheap
for power, please women more than men.
Ask yourself: Will this satisfy
a woman satisfied to bear a child?
Will this disturb the sleep
of a woman near to giving birth?
Go with your love to the fields.
Lie easy in the shade. Rest your head
in her lap. Swear allegiance
to what is nighest your thoughts.
As soon as the generals and the politicos
can predict the motions of your mind,
lose it. Leave it as a sign
to mark the false trail, the way
you didn’t go. Be like the fox
who makes more tracks than necessary,
some in the wrong direction.
Practice resurrection.

Wendell Berry is a poet, farmer, and environmentalist in Kentucky. This poem, first published in 1973, is reprinted by permission of the author and appears in his “New Collected Poems” (Counterpoint).

Public School Shakedown