Recent comments

• Reply to: Oaxacans Want Right to (Not) Migrate   1 day 3 hours ago
    What we need is to build solidarity across borders, and to build a campaign to take chapter 11 and all ISDS chapters out of these awful free trade agreements. We need to mainstream the message that people deserve to stay home and live with their families and prosper instead of being used and spit out by a greedy capitalist system.
  • Reply to: TSA Targets Women Wearing Hijabs?   1 day 7 hours ago
    As a newly converted Muslim, I was returning from Egypt and was wearing my Hijab as I should be. I went through Amsterdam and was pulled from the line of passengers waiting to go through the baggage check. The man took my passport, and then started in with the 100 questions about why my stay was so long, who planned my trip, who booked my flight, where did I stay while in Egypt, where was my baggage the whole time I was there, who packed my bags to return home, where did I work, and then would repeat the questions about 3 to 4 times, explain this or explain this,the best question was do you have pictures of your trip. My final airport they had NO clue where it was located and acted like it was a fictitious airport, that in itself was rather hilarious. TSA DOES target women wearing their hijab's and this is wrong. Just because my religion is Muslim does NOT give anyone the right to target me or any other person of Muslim faith. Though I kept my cool and did not get sarcastic like I wanted to, my name was added to a some paper the second man who came to "assist with the questions" had with him. Reluctantly they returned my passport and let me proceed through the baggage check where they took everything out of my carry on bags, and patted me down right in front of everyone else who was boarding that plane. I felt completely violated and targeted and this is not right.
  • Reply to: Rick Scott Delivers Florida   1 day 20 hours ago
    Once again, large numbers of Florida voters do not have anyone running for state office who truly represent the majority of people living here. To vote for Charlie Crist or the Libertarian candidate for Governor is repulsive for many folks to contemplate. This fact may well have many voters holding back from voting until the last day . . . simply from despair Many of us who were involved in the Peace Movement during the Vietnam War can recall other instances and locales where it seemed the Democratic Party on the state level operated with the intent to destroy the party on the grassroots level. The Republican Party moderates have experienced a similar situation, state by state, over the last few decades since the 1960's. Divide and conquer . . . sow disunity amongst the people and attract and engage those who are willing to be corrupt and those who can only see the small picture, with little sense or practice of enlightened ethical thought and behavior. The dysfunctional Democratic Party left the Florida Republican Party the political playing board largely to themselves. Case in point would be the Republican bastion of Ocala and Marion County, Florida. Another curious fact is the lack of viable candidate recruitment along the lines of community grassroots development. From what I see over the last few years, it almost seems that moles within the Democratic Party are being paid to destroy the foundation of the party itself. Throw in the extremists and political opportunists amongst the fringe who alienate other folks rather than attempting to work together and we have the unholy alliance running both political parties, Democrat and Republican. Time for people to rally together in time to change the political landscape for 2016. Eliminate closed primary elections and outside campaign funding and regain the primacy of the individual's vote rather than corporate or political partisan power through the corrupt flow of money into our political process. Public employees and political candidates for public office were once well regarded public servants who served the greater interests of the people. As a Florida voter, I intend to continue to do my personal best to encourage the participation of voters and development of non-partisan political candidates to change the mess we now have to something far better for our country. It starts one by one . . . voting . . . bringing just one other person with you to go vote who may otherwise not have voted and engage from there. It takes awhile, but you have a solid foundation and clarity of intent and purpose . . . every thought, word and deed. It is time to disengage from the negative political based arena and create a better, more positive, productive tone and manner of proceeding forward. This includes understanding those who do not agree with you . . . sometimes far more important than simply trying to "change" their thinking. Think on a global level . . . place your positive energies to working at home, on the local level. Those of us from the 1950' s and 60' s best pay attention to what we are leaving to our children. We were given so much more from those who preceded us and lived through the Great Depression and World War II. We have the numbers; many of us know better . . . we do have the power to make the changes we need to create to make a better world for all.
  • Reply to: October Charter School Investigations—Tales of Fraud, Mismanagement, and Mis-Education   3 days 1 hour ago
    Charter schools are just another form of union busting, tax reform and privatization that diverts public money to for-profit education. By the time that they hire the cheapest teachers at the lowest wages and overpay the administrators and investors, there's little left to teach with. Right-wingers love that. Ignorance is a commodity that they depend on to perpetuate capitalist values. As long as you have God, the flag and apple pie... it's all you need to know.
  • Reply to: Ode to My Mentors   3 days 4 hours ago
    Ted, Joan and his brother Jack were my instructors when I attended the Teton Science School in 1978 for a January class in Winter Ecology. I enjoyed a career as an environmental engineer and now teach tennis in the summer and work at a ski resort in the winter. I'll be a Snow Ranger volunteer this season because of the time and love these fine people invested in me to open up the wonders of snow and winter to me. God Bless them.
  • Reply to: Medical research funding cuts could be hazardous to America’s health   3 days 14 hours ago
    1. The United States spends two trillion seven hundred billion dollars yearly for health care. In addition that we spend hundreds of billions of dollars for Social Security Disability, Welfare, Food Stamps, Home Care, Special Transportation, etc. It is expected to go up to 4 trillion dollars by 2025, excluding Social Security Disability, Food Stamps, etc. 3. The Federal Agency for Health Care Research and Quality claims that the medical utilization of the top 1% of patients is 21% of medical expenditures. Five percent of the people spend 50% of the health care expenditures. 4. That means that the top 1% of the people, which numbers about 3 million people, spends 560 billion dollars yearly for medical care. The top 5% of the American population uses 50% of the health care expenditures. That adds up to one trillion three hundred billion dollars for the care. The bottom 50% of the population uses only 75 billion dollars. 5. If all people could be brought into the top 50% of healthiness the United States Health care medical expenditure would go from two trillion seven hundred billion dollars to one hundred and fifty billion dollars. That would be a savings of two trillion seven hundred billion dollars yearly. In addition hundreds of billions of dollars would be saved yearly on Welfare, special transportation, etc. 6. The National Institutes of Health is the major medical research funding agency of the Federal Government. It was cut 25% over the last few years. The government was under funding medical even before the cuts. 6. Every two days 9,300 Americans die of the top eight diseases. In addition tens of millions of people are suffering from disabilities that doctors can’t cure. Medical research must be an issue that we take on. 7. More Americans die every two days of diseases that doctors cannot cure then died in combat during the 11 years of the Iraqi and Afghanistan wars. Yet yearly the United States government spends 50 billion dollars more for military and space research then they spend on medical research. There is no publicity given to this fact.
  • Reply to: Should we care if Taylor Swift and Katy Perry call themselves feminists?   4 days 4 hours ago
    I am really enjoying reading your well written articles. It looks like you spend a lot of effort and time on your blog. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. <a href="http://buytwitterfollower.org/retweets/">purchase twitter retweet</a>
  • Reply to: Why Teach For America Kicked Me Out   4 days 7 hours ago
    With or without TFA you will be an excellent teacher. I just recently applied and left out of my interview feeling so darn let down and like a failure. I have never been in an interview where they only focus on negative things like why you withdrew from classes or why you had an F in a class. It really discouraged me because They didn't pay attention to the fact that I made the Dean's list every semester after that, or that I was an orphan living in poverty and work everyday to motivate children who have the same issues stay focused and be great. They didn't care about that! But guess what?! I'm going to teach with or without them! I'm a second year M.Ed student and my licensure will be in Special Ed. To hell with them! You will be great!
  • Reply to: WI Club for Growth Tries to Bar GAB from Spending Money to Probe Illegal Campaign Spending   4 days 9 hours ago
    God bless Scott Walker. The Koch Brothers boogeyman monster created by the left wing-controlled media, Hollywood and academic is intolerable to the left in a way that George Soros, Mike Bloomberg, Paul Allen, Steven Spielberg, Ron Burkle, Oprah Winfrey and Democrat-supporting billionaires somehow are not. I know see why George Orwell hated the left, and made it clear in "1984" why. The horrendous scorched earth tactics employed by the unions and the left to destroy Scott Walker and ensure that he lose his re-election bid tells me all I need to know about "progressives". I am glad I changed my party affiliation. I feel much cleaner.
  • Reply to: Scott Walker Swift-Boats Mary Burke   4 days 20 hours ago
    We need Walker to help keep jobs in Wisconsin and bring new private sector jobs to the state.

Pages

Subscribe to The Progressive and Get A Free 2015 Calendar

BREAKING NEWS: Union Carbide CEO Warren Anderson of Bhopal infamy died a fugitive from justice. The Progressive got...

This Halloween movie will scare anyone who cares about news.

By Wendell Berry

Manifesto: The Mad Farmer Liberation Front

Love the quick profit, the annual raise,
vacation with pay. Want more
of everything ready made. Be afraid
to know your neighbors and to die.
And you will have a window in your head.
Not even your future will be a mystery
any more. Your mind will be punched in a card
and shut away in a little drawer.
When they want you to buy something
they will call you. When they want you
to die for profit they will let you know.
So, friends, every day do something
that won’t compute. Love the Lord.
Love the world. Work for nothing.
Take all that you have and be poor.
Love someone who does not deserve it.
Denounce the government and embrace
the flag. Hope to live in that free
republic for which it stands.
Give your approval to all you cannot
understand. Praise ignorance, for what man
has not encountered he has not destroyed.
Ask the questions that have no answers.
Invest in the millennium. Plant sequoias.
Say that your main crop is the forest
that you did not plant,
that you will not live to harvest.

Say that the leaves are harvested
when they have rotted into the mold.
Call that profit. Prophesy such returns.
Put your faith in the two inches of humus
that will build under the trees
every thousand years.
Listen to carrion—put your ear
close, and hear the faint chattering
of the songs that are to come.
Expect the end of the world. Laugh.
Laughter is immeasurable. Be joyful
though you have considered all the facts.
So long as women do not go cheap
for power, please women more than men.
Ask yourself: Will this satisfy
a woman satisfied to bear a child?
Will this disturb the sleep
of a woman near to giving birth?
Go with your love to the fields.
Lie easy in the shade. Rest your head
in her lap. Swear allegiance
to what is nighest your thoughts.
As soon as the generals and the politicos
can predict the motions of your mind,
lose it. Leave it as a sign
to mark the false trail, the way
you didn’t go. Be like the fox
who makes more tracks than necessary,
some in the wrong direction.
Practice resurrection.

Wendell Berry is a poet, farmer, and environmentalist in Kentucky. This poem, first published in 1973, is reprinted by permission of the author and appears in his “New Collected Poems” (Counterpoint).

Public School Shakedown